Lawrence (Learance) VODDEN 

*11 May 1708 - †2 Nov 1768
Father:
Mother:
Siblings:
Wife:
Children:

Note:

a) Beara St Giles in the wood (farm 110 acres)
Vodden Family traditionally is supposed to have farmed Beara for
centuries)
Beara half way between St Giles and Roborough, next parish
Beara means a wood
7 children 4 dau 3 sons

St. Giles-in-the-Wood.
Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870
Transcribed by Val HENDERSON
Checked by William COOKE
Pages 413 - 414

ST. GILES-IN-THE-WOOD (or STOW ST. GILES) is a village and parish in Torrington union, containing, by the census of 1861, 962 inhabitants, and 4827 acres; in the deanery of Torrington, archdeaconry of Barnstaple, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Fremington, North Devonshire; 3 miles east from Great Torrington, 8 south-east from Bideford, and 8 south-west from Umberleigh Station on the North Devon Railway. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Charles E. Littledale, M.A., is valued at £130 per annum, with residence and 3 acres of glebe land, and isin the patronage of the Hon. Mark Rolle. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Giles, consisting of nave, chancel, transept, north and south aisles, with tower containing six bells; it was restored by the Hon. Mark Rolle in 1862, at a cost of £2000. The Baptists and Wesleyans have places of worship here, and there are Parochial Schools for children of both sexes. There are four almshouses for aged women, which have an endowment of £5 per annum.

STEVENSTONE HOUSE, the residence of the Hon. Mark Rolle, who is lord of the manor and chief landowner, is a noble mansion, in the midst ofa fine park well stocked with deer, and is now undergoing a complete restoration. Gas works are also being erected for the use of the mansion. The estimated cost of improvement is £50,000. A pack of foxhounds are kept at kennels here, which are hunted regularly during the season.

DODSCOTT, 1 mile east; HEALAND, 1½ mile south-west; HIGH BULLER*, 1 mile north; and KINGSCOTT, three quarters of a mile south, are hamlets of this parish.

Clergy and Gentry.
Johnson Miss, Rosemore
Littledale Rev. Charles E., M.A., Vicarage, Kingscott
Rolle the Hon. Mark, J.P., Stevenstone house

Trades and Professions.
Ashplant Francis, shoemaker, Kingscott
Ashplant William, shoemaker
Balsdon James, farmer, Lower Whitsley
Barrie James, forester to the Hon. Mark Rolle
Bowman John, farmer, Great Huish
Brinsmead Thomas, machine maker and farmer
Bryant Miss, ladies' school, Kingscott
Clarke Thomas, farmer, Dodscott
Clarke William, farmer and maltster
Clemens Mrs. Mary, farmer, High Bullen
Clemens Thomas, blacksmith, High Bullen
Cock Miss Theresa, shopkeeper
Copp William, miller, Stoneyford
Drawers Thomas Lary, farm bailiff to the Hon. Mark Rolle, Peagham
Friend Thomas, machinist, Kingscott
Gould William, gamekeeper to the Hon. Mark Rolle, Bellevue cottage
Heale Henry, farmer, Lower Healand
Hookway John, farmer, Higher house
Hookway John, jun., butcher, "Rolle Arms," Kingscott
Lake Thomas, farmer, High Bullen
Lake Thomas, farmer, Ward
Leigh William, farmer, North Crandford
May Francis, blacksmith
Norman Christopher, farmer, Winscott
Norris Charles, huntsman to the Hon. Mark Rolle
Rowe Joseph, farmer, Healand
Row Lawrence Vodden, farmer, Kingscott
Snell William, farmer, Dodscott
Snell William, farmer, Lower hill
Squire William and John, farmers, Dodscott
Squires Francis, farmer, Crandford
Symons Edward, farmer and butcher, Way Barton
Symons Richard, farmer, Higher hill
Tanton Thomas, farmer, Leigh
Trick Thomas, farmer
Trick William, gardener, "Fox and Hounds," High Bullen
Vodden Lawrence, farmer, Beara
Vodden Lawrence, farmer, Kingscott
~Pillar Letter Box cleared at 4.40 p.m. Letters from Great Torrington, which is the nearest money order office
~ Constabulary - Geo. Babbage, serjeant
~Parochial School - Thomas Bailey Hodgkin, master; Miss Elizabeth Blessington, mistress

* 'HIGH BULLER' should read 'HIGH BULLEN'.

Birth:
Death:
Funeral: